Saturday, October 16, 2010

Goodbye Grandpa

My Grandpa, Richard K. Sellers, passed away yesterday. He'd been sick with cancer for the last couple years, but his health had really deteriorated in the last few months. His death follows my grandma's death just over two years ago. I know he was ready to go and be with her again.

I have only good memories of my grandpa. We moved from Oregon when I was young so I didn't get to see him very often after that. This made my visits with him all the more special. Here are a few of my favorites. Taking rides in his pickup truck in the woods below his farm. Taking he and grandma with us to Navajo lake each summer to go camping. They usually got to sleep in the trailor and Scott and I would sleep in the back...I'll never forget the snoring! My grandpa was a patriarch and I, along with many of my cousins and siblings, were blessed to have him give us our blessings. I'll also always remember the time he stayed with Nic and I one Saturday evening while he was visiting, grandma was already sick in a nursing home so he'd come alone. Mom and Dad were singing the following morning for Music and the Spoken Word, so they thought it would be best if he stayed with me and we could make hime breakfast and help him out in the morning. I woke up on Sunday to find him sitting on my couch, all showered and ready in his Sunday clothes, watching the Lawrence Welks show. He was singing along, as happy as could be. It was adorable and melted my heart.

We love you Grandpa and there will definitely be a hole in the Sellers' family without you. How wonderful to know we'll get to be together again someday.
(picture coming)

6 comments:

Melissa said...

sad but oh so happy that he was able to be reunited! Our Grandpa was Patriarch forever as well and it's one of the greatest memories that we have of him.

Melanie said...

What great memories you have. We are so sorry for your loss.

Tom, Beth, and Ainsley said...

I'm sorry for your loss! I know that must be difficult for your family. Best of luck.

the fellers said...

oh I am so sorry...I know my time for my grandpa to go will come one day, sooner then I would like, and that will be a bad day....sounds like a great man, what a cute story!

Natalie Smith said...

Sorry about your loss Clark family! :(

Linz said...

Good memories. Ah, the snoring. I could hear it from the top floor of the house and he'd be sleeping in the basement! Great memorial Steff!