Tuesday, February 22, 2011

House Plants


OK, I realize that by titleing a post "house plants", I'm walking a fine line of sounding like an 80 year old woman. But honestly, I almost cried last week when I took this picture. Here's why. I've had these plants for alot of years now. They've always looked great and I love plants in my house. I don't know WHAT the problem is this winter, but my plants have taken a turn for the worst and they're all sickly and anorexic looking. I tried to save them, pruned them, watered them, gave them extra light....but they just all looked like crap and I decided to throw them away. I have 2 huge ones left...we'll see if they last. So just for my own records...I'm going to explain what made these plants kind of special to me.

The 2 on the left were purchased for our first house in Idaho Falls. The spike was my personal favorite...starting off as a baby. Yes, I've included a picture of the spike as a baby :)
The next plant in the middle was purchased a few weeks after we got married...7 1/2 years ago. We got it at Walmart and it was pathetic looking. My goal was to bring it back to life. I was successful and I've LOVED this plant ever since. I told Nic that I hope this plant doesn't symbolize our marriage ;) Yep, I'm posting a picture of this plant too. It's on top of the cupboards in our Idaho Falls kitchen.
The last plant is the most special. Nic's uncle Robert was killed exactly two years ago in an avalanche while snowmobiling. It's been heartbreaking and life changing for ANYONE who knew him. I was given this plant at his funeral. We love you Robert and we'll NEVER let a day go by without thinking of you. Throwing this plant away in no way symbolizes how we feel about you or your cute family! We'll just have to buy a new Robert plant.
He was a total goof ball. Made him all the more loveable.

3 comments:

Trenholms said...

We had ONE plant when we got married that we stole from my mom's house. It was lovely, but somehow it got a disease and ended up in the trash, too. I feel your pain.

Kellie said...

That is really a sad story. I had no idea you loved your plants. Their tragic end maybe because I came over. I have that affect on plants. Blame me!

aclark said...

At least your kids are still alive, maybe that's a better testament of your nurturing skills! Maybe Kendyl is hiding things in the dirt and its not your fault at all!!